Friday, April 29, 2005

The Value of a Seminary Education

Last weekend, I went out to Pasadena, CA to investigate Fuller Seminary's main campus. I left expecting to be affirmed in my plans to move there and pursue a more intense theological academic. But I returned with some odd leadings and plenty to wrestle with. I came back questioning my call, the value of ministry experience and the value of a seminary education. The three go hand-in-hand for me. Depending on my call, I might pursue different preparatory experiences and degrees.

In the midst of these questions, one has risen to the top. What is the value of a seminary education in my life with Christ. Here are some raw reflections:

PROS

1. Seminary prepares the mind of the future minister by teaching how to interpret and preach the Scriptures. Seminary also gives practical advice on how to lead, administer, handle conflicts, counsel, etc. Many of these lessons are very important and can save lots of time and energy in trial & error.

2. Seminary can provide key future ministry connections. Seminary is a great place to be in community with other people who have a similar heart and call. Through this community, students can stregthen each other in their learning. Ideally, students will also find accountability for Godly living, but this has not been my experience thus far. Seminary is a bubble-community away from the world, and perhaps away from the heart of God.

3. Seminary will give the credentials needed to get a nice, comfortable ministry position. When candidating a church, a seminary degree tells them, like God couldn't/wouldn't that your the man/woman to fill their needs. If they vote for you, you'll make all their wildest dreams come true, because you went to seminary! In a sense, seminary is a very expensive and laborious set of dues at many churches. These same churches can't help but exclude the founders of the church [see below]

CONS

1. Seminary rarely models the discipler/disciple model suggested in Scripture, especially with Jesus. Jesus taught with his entire life. Everything they did was an opportunity to teach into the early disciples life. Jesus focus was not primarily on what the disciples knew, but what they did. I believe Jesus desired an inner-transformation that went beyond mere knowledge. The disciples had to become like him. Seminary falls very short of this in my experience. Only rarely is a professor teaching for soul transformation. Most of the lessons are academic in nature. Seminary's message: If you know these things, you will be more prepared for ministry.

2. Seminary is very expensive and I have a problem with significant debt. These days, you are going to drop $50,000-80,000 getting the "qualifying degree." Most seminarians will carry school loans halfway into their ministry. Most importantly, they will have to get the right position in the right ministry, not based on God's call, but on which one can provide financially. The preparation for ministry God has for his shepherds shouldn't cost them two years wages.

3. Seminary can dry you out spiritually. I've seen and read about this often. Some people graduate from seminary burnt out spiritually. Time they should have been spending with Jesus got thrown to the backburner, for late night papers and test preparations. All for what? To impress professors. I am not convinced that making good grades and impressing professors, matters at all to God. America is in love with credentials. We worship our resumes like idols: "Gotta have the right experiences and education to work at our church." I'm thankful Jesus didn't operate on this system. None of the twelve disciples or even Paul would get call-backs at most of today's churches. They definitely couldn't go mainline for sure. They might sneak into some non-denominational church somewhere.


The wrestling continues and this probably reeks of overstatements, ignorance and bias, but so it goes...

5 Comments:

At 4/29/2005 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew, you are such a deep and rational thinker. I love it! I don't think you will be completely satisfied unless you have your seminary degree and you might regret that one day if you don't finish it up. I think you should stay in Colorado Springs and finish up your degree at Fuller OR move to NC and go to school with treasure.

 
At 5/01/2005 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's treasure?

 
At 5/02/2005 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew,

Excellent questions that will lead you to an answer that is real. I have heard people say that Seminaries are answering questions no one is asking, so my advice (like you need anymore advice) is to find an experience (school, degree, job, whatever) that will help you answer the questions people are asking in such a way that you are Jesus to them. Good luck :-)

Tim

 
At 5/03/2005 12:35 AM, Blogger r.m. said...

i would love to see more truely elder-led chruches in our communities, but sometimes i think our pastors get placed on undue pedestals (and consequently undertake undue and exhausting amounts of responsibility) simply because "they've been to seminary and the rest of us haven't." good thoughts andrew.
also, i found a blog that might be of interest to you: robotfuel.blogspot.com...made me think of all your random culinary musings!

 
At 5/27/2005 11:37 AM, Blogger Michael said...

away from the heart of God . . . I was surprised seeing this in the pro list . . . perhaps I quickly misread it.

It too am wrestling with similar issues. I checked out Multnomah Biblical Seminary and could really see myself being equipped for ministry in the way I want to be equipped (and the way I believe Jesus might do ministry???).

My year with George Verwer . . . being mentored and simply traveling with him . . . I've picked up so many subtlties in the work. Also, the majors and the minors are a little more clear but not yet fully focused for my life.

Journeying with you. Keep asking the questions.
A man in need of God,
michael

 

Post a Comment

<< Home